An iPad has an extremely good battery and will last for quite a while.
Our testing has shown that an iPad can be used running the iKeypad app for 10-12 hours on a single charge
depending on the length of the sessions and the time between sessions.
To achieve this, you need to eliminate any unnecessary functions of the iPad that would drain the battery.
Apple has some good information
Here are some suggestions:
- Lower the brightness to 25-30%. This is probably the single most important setting to change.
The display will be on continuously while iKeypad is running so the lower the value the better.
- Put the iPad in Airplane Mode and then turn on the Wi-Fi portion only.
This will turn off the Bluetooth and Cellular functions that are not needed.
- Turn off Location Services. Turn off in Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
- Turn off Background App Refresh. Go to Settings > General > Background App Refresh and set the switch to Off.
- Lock the iPads in between sessions when they are not being used.
Inform your judges to simply press the lock button on the top of the iPad to turn the screen off when they are finished judging the session.
You might want to have portable battery chargers, capable of charging your iPads, available for each event in case the battery runs out before the end of the session.